If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, Powers & Santola, LLP can help. Even what may seem at first like minor injuries in a slip and fall accident could ultimately have a lasting impact on your health and your livelihood. If you fell and were hurt on someone else’s property, you could be owed significant compensation for the injuries you sustained and their associated medical bills. It is critical to understand your rights after a severe slip and fall accident, so contact an attorney to discuss your options as soon as possible. Contact our Albany slip and fall lawyer today.
How Do Albany Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
Slip and fall accidents happen all the time. While some only result in minor bumps and bruises or embarrassment, these accidents can cause severe injuries or may be fatal. A few of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents are:
- Steps or sidewalks that are icy
- Concrete that is broken or cracked
- Floors that are slick because of liquid substances
- Stairs or handrails that are broken
- Uneven or damaged surfaces in walkways
- Sidewalks or stairwells that don’t have adequate lighting
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. In many cases, they occur on property that is owned by someone else: a company, a school, an individual, the city, or the county, for example. Property owners are responsible for making sure their property is safe by properly maintaining it and keeping debris cleared from areas where there is foot traffic.
Don’t allow the negligent or careless actions of property owners weigh you down with the economic burden, physical pain, and possibly long recovery you face. You have the right to hold property owners accountable for unsafe conditions on their premises that led to your accident.
How Long Do You Have to File a Slip and Fall Claim in Albany, New York?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, New York law has a statute of limitations that gives you up to three years from the date you were injured to sue the property owner for damages. Keep in mind that this time limit is the time allotted to you to file a claim with the court and does not mean that the case has to be wrapped up within that period. The state gives victims this time to seek treatment and recover from their injuries, collect evidence, and consult with a lawyer before filing the claim.
It is critical to speak with an attorney as soon as possible and make sure you do not miss the deadline for filing your claim. If you do not file within the time given to you by the state, your claim will likely be dismissed.
Steps to Take After an Albany Slip and Fall Accident
Document everything, including photos of the area that caused your slip and fall accident. Make sure all photos are detailed. Make notes as soon as possible after the slip and fall so that you can remember the important details.
- Seek medical attention. Even if your injuries seem minor at first, get them checked out by medical professionals. Some serious injuries take time before symptoms become noticeable. It is important to get treatment as soon as possible. This will also provide valuable evidence for your slip and fall claim.
- Notify the responsible person at the property – store manager, landlord, bank branch manager, etc. – of your slip and fall accident. Have them record the incident in writing and make sure they give you a copy of the incident report. Do not talk about it to anyone except medical personnel and your attorney. Refrain from talking about your slip and fall accident on social media and refer all insurance company requests for a statement to your attorney.
- Document all your medical treatment after your slip and fall accident. If you are taken to the hospital after the accident, be sure to get a record of the hospital visit as soon as possible. If you have follow-up care with your primary care physician, physical therapists, occupational therapists, etc., make sure to have them give you a summary of your visits related to the slip and fall accident or get your records online, since many medical professionals now offer personal online medical charts.
- Stay away from any activity that may erode the integrity of your case. Slip and fall accident victims often come under intense scrutiny by the insurance company and attorneys representing the property owner to see if they are exaggerating their injuries. In other words, don’t go skydiving, whitewater rafting, or engage in any other strenuous activity after you have had a slip and fall accident. Make sure as well that if you have employment that requires intense physical activity and you are able to work, but you are reassigned to “light duty” or “desk” work after your slip and fall accident, that your human resources department gives you an official record of the reassignment.
- Hire an attorney to sue the property owner for the injuries and subsequent economic and non-economic losses you have suffered in your slip and fall accident. Slip and fall accidents fall under premises liability in tort law. You will need professional legal help to successfully navigate through the slip and fall claim and lawsuit.
How to File Your Slip and Fall Claim in Albany
If you decide to file a slip and fall claim, you will need a lawyer to prepare the claim and file the lawsuit in court. The slip and fall attorneys at Powers & Santola have the experience to handle every aspect of your slip and fall accident case to ensure that you get fair compensation. Whether the best outcome is through settlement or a trial, we have the full range of experience to make sure you get justice.
Schedule a free initial consultation about your slip and fall accident with one of our experienced Albany slip and fall lawyers. We will guide you through each step of filing your claim, and we will devote all of our resources to make sure you get the compensation you are owed.
Contact us now by calling us, by filling out a contact form, or by chatting with us live on our site.