Margie A. Soehl Partner
Margie A. Soehl is a partner in the law firm of Powers & Santola, LLP. Her practice is limited to the representation of serious and catastrophically injured individuals. Margie is one of Albany, New York’s few bilingual, English-Spanish speaking attorneys.
Learn More About Margie
Margie was individually selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for her work in the areas of medical malpractice and personal injury litigation on behalf of plaintiffs. Selection for Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive and rigorous peer-review survey comprising nearly 4 million confidential evaluations by top attorneys in the country.
For three decades, Best Lawyers has been regarded by both the profession and the public as the most credible and definitive guide to legal excellence in the United States.
Born in Guayaquil, Ecuador, Margie received her J.D. from Espiritu Santo University located in Guayaquil, Ecuador in 2002. While working on her JD, Margie had the opportunity to study and work abroad; this included an internship position at Yamaguchi International Law Offices in Osaka, Japan.
Upon returning to Ecuador and completing her degree, Margie accepted a position on the legal advisory team of Ecuadorian President Gustavo Noboa in Quito, Ecuador.
Upon getting married and moving to the United States in 2003, Margie enrolled as a part-time student in the Masters in Laws and Letters (LLM) program at Albany Law School. At that time, she also started working as a law clerk at a law firm in Schenectady, New York. Margie obtained her LLM in 2005.
Margie is proud to hold dual citizenship in Ecuador and the United States. Margie is also a member of the Million Dollar & Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Fewer than 1 percent of the country’s lawyers are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The organization is comprised solely of lawyers who have obtained million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on their clients’ behalf.
Aside from being fluent in English and Spanish Margie is proficient in Japanese, and is currently learning Italian.
Margie is currently taking a sabbatical.
Areas of Practice
- Hospital Malpractice – Plaintiffs
- Medical Malpractice – Plaintiffs
- Serious or Catastrophic Personal Injury – Plaintiffs
- Products Liability – Plaintiffs
- Premises Liability – Plaintiffs
- Construction Site Accidents– Plaintiffs
- Motor Vehicle & Truck Accidents – Plaintiff
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
LL.M. – 2005
- Espiritu Santo University, Guayaquil, Ecuador
J.D. – 2002
- Kansai Gaidai, Osaka, Japan
Graduate, Asian Studies Program – 2001
- New York, 2009
- Ecuador, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 2010
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
Honors & Awards
Past Employment Positions
- La Ley del Andamio en el Estado de Nueva York, Latino New York Magazine, April, 2010
- Delayed Cancer Diagnosis Claims Can’t Wait, (English and Spanish version), Latino New York Magazine, June/July, 2010
- New York Labor “Scaffold Law” will provide you with a fair and just compensation, (English and Spanish version),
- Latino New York Magazine, December, 2010
- The Case of an Undocumented Ecuadorian Worker,(English and Spanish version), Hola Capital Magazine, December, 2011
- Patient’s Bill of Rights in New York State, (English & Spanish), Hola Capital Magazine, April/May, 2012
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- Independent Judicial Election Qualification Commission for the Third Judicial District, Member
- Committee on Character and Fitness of the Appellate Division, Third Department, State of New York, Member
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Member
- New York Capital Region Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Member of Board of Directors
- Capital District Black and Hispanic Bar Association, Member of the Board of Directors
- Albany County Bar Association, Member
- Capital District Women’s Bar Association, Member
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 under 40.
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorney Award 2016
- 2015 Rising Star, The Hispanic Coalition NY Inc.
- Powers & Santola, LLP, Albany, New York, Senior Legal Assistant, 2007 – September 24, 2009
- Parisi, Coan & Saccocio, LLP, Schenectady, New York, Law Clerk, 2003 – 2006
- Zavala Egas, Manzur & Trujillo, LLP, Guayaquil, Ecuador, Attorney, 2002 – 2003
- Legal Advisory Team, Ecuadorian President Gustavo Noboa, Quito, Ecuador, Attorney, 2002
- Yamaguchi International Law Offices, Osaka, Japan, Intern, 2001
- The Law Offices of Estarellas Merino, Guayaquil, Ecuador, Legal Assistant, 2000
- Filanbanco Bank, Guayaquil, Ecuador, Legal Assistant/Intern, 1999
- Judge Gaston Alarcon, Supreme Court of Justice, Legal Assistant, 1997 – 1998
- English (Primary)
- Spanish (Primary)