At Powers & Santola, LLP, our Schenectady construction accident lawyers work tirelessly to help injured victims get justice and the maximum available financial compensation. With a comprehensive understanding of New York’s construction accident laws, we know how to protect your rights and hold those responsible accountable. If you or your loved one was seriously injured in a construction accident in Schenectady, we can help. For a free, completely confidential consultation with an experienced New York construction accident attorney, please contact us today.
We Handle the Full Range of Construction Accident Claims
A construction site can be a dangerous place. If proper safety precautions are not taken by developers, construction site owners, and construction companies, the consequences can be catastrophic. Profits cannot be allowed to come before worker safety. Construction accidents can come in a wide range of different forms. No matter the specific nature or severity of the workplace accident, we will advocate for your rights and interests. Our Schenectady construction accident lawyers handle the full range of cases, including:
- Falls from height—including ladders, roofs, and beams;
- Scaffolding injuries;
- Falling objects;
- Heavy machinery accidents;
- Equipment operator injuries;
- Excavation accidents, trench collapses, and crush injuries;
- Forklift accidents;
- Crane accidents;
- Construction vehicle and other transportation accidents; and
- Explosions and/or toxic exposures.
Workplace Safety Matters: New York Construction Laws
New York has some of the strongest and most well-developed construction laws in the entire country. Our state has made a true commitment to protect the health, safety, and well-being of the very workers who have built our society. All owners and contractors have a clear duty to protect the safety of all who work in construction no matter how big or small the project is. When they violate New York’s construction site laws, property owners and construction companies can be held absolutely responsible for any injury. Some notable construction laws include:
- Labor Law § 200: New York Labor Law § 200 codifies the common law duties that construction site owners and construction companies have to protect the health and well-being of all on site workers.
- Labor Law § 240(1): Often referred to as the ‘Scaffold Law’, this requires construction site owners and contractors to take proper safety precautions to protect workers from “gravity-related risks”. If a construction worker falls from height because of inadequate safety precautions, the owners and contractors are absolutely liable for those injuries whether or not they actually direct or control the activity which gives rise to the injury.
- Labor Law § 241(6): The core purpose of § 241(6) is to ensure that construction site owners, lead contractors, and subcontractors cannot escape liability by simply assigning ‘supervisory duties’ to another party.
Construction Worker Injuries: Know Your Options for Financial Compensation
Virtually all employees in New York are covered by workers’ compensation insurance. As a starting point, construction workers who were injured on the job can seek financial support for the reasonable and necessary medical care and a portion of their normal wages through a workers’ compensation claim. As workers’ compensation insurance is based upon a no-fault basis, construction workers can access benefits without proving the employer was negligence.
Beyond workers’ compensation, injured construction workers may also be entitled to additional compensation for pain and suffering, disability, and other damages. If your construction site accident was caused by any defendant other than your employer, you can file a third-party liability lawsuit to seek compensation. Additionally, if your accident occurred because your employer violated New York construction laws, you are entitled to hold all owners and contractors liable for the injuries.
Why Work with Our Schenectady Construction Accident Attorneys
We are proud to be one of New York’s premier personal injury law firms. For more than three decades, our Schenectady personal injury attorneys have represented construction accident victims across a wide range of legal cases. We know how to get results. As founding partner of the firm, attorney Daniel Santola has handled these types of claims since 1975—indeed he wrote the book (Litigating Construction Accident Cases in New York) on construction accident law in New York.
If you or your loved one was injured in a construction accident, we are ready to put in the time, energy, and resources to stand behind your case and get you results. Your best interests will always come first. Our Schenectady, NY construction accident attorneys represent injured victims on a contingency fee basis—you pay nothing until we recover financial compensation on your behalf.
Get Help from a Construction & Workplace Accident Attorney in Schenectady, NY
At Powers & Santola, LLP, our New York construction accident lawyers are experienced, results-focused advocates for injured victims. To request a free, no obligation review of your claim, please contact our legal team today. We represent clients in Schenectady and throughout the wider region.