We absolutely can’t thank you enough.
Powers & Santola was so knowledgeable and caring. I was so very fortunate to find such a great law firm.
Product Liability Attorneys Assisting Injured Plaintiffs in Troy, New York
If you purchase a product from a retail store or order a product online, you should feel secure in your expectations and assumptions that the product will be safe for you to use. Yet, as you may already know, consumer products are recalled frequently due to safety defects, and many products that contain defects are not even recalled until dozens or even hundreds of consumers suffer serious injuries. If you or someone you love sustained serious injuries after using a defective consumer product, you may be eligible to file a product liability claim. An experienced Troy product liability lawyer can begin working on your case today.
What is Product Liability in Troy, NY?
Product liability is an area of personal injury law that recognizes a consumer’s right to file an injury lawsuit after that consumer is harmed by a defective product. Product defects can take many different forms, and they can result in a wide range of injuries. Harm caused by defective products can also vary greatly in terms of severity. Sometimes a consumer will sustain a mild injury that can be effectively treated, while other product defect injuries can result in permanent disabilities or even death.
To be clear, a product does not need to be recalled in order for you to have a claim. If a consumer product was defective, and that defect caused your injuries, you could be eligible to file a lawsuit. An experienced products liability lawyer in Troy, NY can assess your case today and help you to understand whether you have a valid claim for compensation.
Different Types of Troy Product Liability Claims
In Troy, NY, product liability lawsuits will generally take one of three different forms. The Cornell Legal Information Institute provides information about the three types of product liability claims that injured plaintiffs may be able to file:
- Design defect: In product liability cases, design defect claims are those that arise out of a defective product design. With a design defect, the product has an inherent defect or hazard that will exist even if the product is manufactured and marketed perfectly, and the consumer uses the product exactly as it was designed to be used. In a case involving a design defect, the designer of the product itself, or the designer of one of the product’s components may be liable for damages.
- Manufacturing defect: Unlike a design defect, a manufacturing defect is one that happens when the product (or one of its components) is being manufactured. The design of the product itself is sound, as are the designs of the product’s parts. However, an error occurs in the manufacturing process, resulting in the product becoming defective. In a manufacturing defect claim, the manufacturer of the product (or the manufacturer of the defective component) can be held liable for damages caused by the manufacturing defect.
- Marketing defect: This kind of defect is very different from a design defect or a manufacturing defect. With a marketing defect, there is nothing that is actually wrong with the product itself. However, there is something defective about the way that the product has been marketed. Specifically, the marketer failed to warn consumers about risks associated with use of the product—dangers associated with use of the product as it was intended to be used, or dangers associated with reasonably foreseeable uses of the product.
Common Troy Product Liability Lawsuits
Product liability claims can involve many different types of products, including but not limited to:
- Household furniture and tip-over injuries;
- Auto defects, including defective brakes and defective airbag claims;
- Children’s toy product claims due to choking or suffocation risks;
- Dangerous drugs that have harmful side effects;
- Hazardous household products such as weed killers or baby powders that can cause cancer;
- Workplace machine injuries caused by defective manufacturing or design; or
- Harmful medical implants that cause patient injuries, such as hip implants.
These are just some of the common product liability cases that can occur. It is important to understand that nearly any dangerous product that causes an injury can give rise to a product liability claim.
Statute of Limitations in Your Troy Product Liability Lawsuit.
Under New York law, most product liability lawsuits must be filed within three years from the date of the injury. Do not wait any longer when a product liability lawyer in Troy can get started on your case.
Contact a Troy Product Liability Attorney Today
Do you need assistance with a product liability lawsuit? Whether or not the dangerous product was recalled, our experienced Troy product liability lawyers want to ensure that you seek the financial compensation you deserve. Injuries caused by product defects can be devastating, and we know how critical it is to hold the designer, manufacturer, or marketer of the product accountable. Contact Powers & Santola, LLP to learn more about how we can assist you with your case.
Other Practice Areas
Nursing Home Abuse
Traumatic Brain Injury
Changing Lives for the Better
When someone injures you, your life gets turned upside down. Suddenly, you may face a ton of medical bills. You may be unable to work or help out around the home. Others may need to care for you around the clock. Nothing is the same.view all practice areas
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.